Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Evinrude 88spl, overheating....where do i go now

02-03-06, 04:37 AM   #1  
Evinrude 88spl, overheating....where do i go now

I just purchased a boat that came with a 88 SPL Evinrude. The guy I purchased it from showed me a reciept where he had the impeller replace last october. the motor has not been used since. he took it out before i bought it and the engine started to overheat. he took it back to the shop and was told the thermostats were bad. at this point i bought the boat and engine. i replace the thermostats myself, wasn't too hard except for those darns spring holding the white little thingies.....anyway....i started the engine......darn....still gets hot....i do notice that there is no water coming out the two little holes on the back side of the engine although there is plenty of water coming out the little hole on the bottom side of the engine housing. there seems to be alot of water coming out right around where the cavitation plate goes too.....can someone help me.....with some info what where else to check before i even try to replace the impeller again......also is the impeller and the water pump the same thing?

Sponsored Links

02-03-06, 05:00 AM   #2  
The line up.

When changing the impeller it's very tricky about lining up the cooling water connection points.Once the lower unit has been dropped down take a mirror using sunlight to be able to see where you need to go , but once you get so far on connecting the lower unit it's a guess. Not a big job,you can do it. It sounds like the last guy missed.

02-03-06, 05:19 AM   #3  
can you please explain

i am waiting on a bid i placed for a service manual for this motor, but can you please give me some detail. sorry, but i have never done this before

02-03-06, 05:30 AM   #4  
sorry

I missed the water coming out the little hole. It may not be the missed water connection. You may have a so called pop-it valve on your engine it is designed to be closed at idle and opens when higher engine speed builds too much water pressure as it is spring loaded and it may be partially open at idle. since this engine is new to you,have a compression test done for starters on the sparkplug openings. Sometimes the old impeller breaks off and clogs the water passages, then again a head gasket can cause it. check with iboats .com if you need more help.

02-03-06, 06:49 AM   #5  
thanks for your help

when the impeller was changed the compression tests were done and the compression was good, a tuneup was done at the same time. the engine runs just fine at idle or even when i punch it a little, it responds very nice....the problem is it quickly begins to overheat within a few minutes....hey let me tell you this........i loosed up the hose at the thermostats.....and now water flowed out...it just seems to be dry in there even after i ran the engine for a few minutes last night......i take the water flows out the thermost housing into the area where the spark plugs are at....and not the other direction from the spark plug area into the motor...?

02-03-06, 08:29 AM   #6  
The engine

Are you getting a horn going off after a short run,and are you premixing the fuel. or do you have a on-board oil tank? I'm confused on year and horsepower rating you have. By all means don't run on the hot engine very long. There are temperature wax sticks to try on head .Do sparkplugs all look the same after running ? yes waterpump and impeller are one in the same. Once the lower unit is dropped down you can attach a portable drill to power the shaft to turn the pump to be sure it is pumping. It is possible that where the water connection is made in the head that the rubber bushing has closed off somewhat to restrict water flow....are you getting white steam while on the water hose?

02-03-06, 10:03 AM   #7  
year and horse power

the engine is a 1990 Evinrude, 88 spl......the steam comes out that hole at the bottom right of the engine after i turn the motor off which i did after i heard the overheat horn start to buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......... the the water coming out of the pee hole as i heard some people call it....is cold no matter if the engine is hot......the gasoline and the oil are pre mixed.......i havent checked the spark plugs, but the engine runs fine....it seems like....although i have never tried it in the water...only with the water muffs on for testing the engine

Last edited by texasranger225; 02-03-06 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add clues

02-03-06, 06:34 PM   #8  
hello again

Although this is an excellent forum,i advise you to visit the evinrude forum on iboats .com and present your problem .I done some research on your engine and it has been a good one for evinrude so if you check the other source use the search function . Get your manual ,you just may have a weak tempature senser (mounted above top cylinder) setting off the horn. Good luck

02-06-06, 12:49 PM   #9  
Hey Bernie

a tech was telling me the problem will possibly be the deflectors inside the head covers. he said they might be flat which would cause the engine to overheat after a while.......you ever heard of this? fixing would require remove the head covers and replace the deflectors and head gaskettes and recover the heads or cylinders and i should be good to go....any ideas on this?

02-06-06, 09:49 PM   #10  
go here and click on parts and find your motor and it will show you a lot.
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Access...troduction.htm

02-08-06, 07:22 PM   #11  
I didn't see this mentioned, but make sure the impellor is pre-bent the right way. I have a merc but it may be the same type of thing. If you prebend the impellor the wrong way it will not move water correctly.

Eric

Search this Thread