Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

recovering boat seats

02-19-06, 08:32 PM   #1  
recovering boat seats

Can someone please tell me where I might find step by step instructions on how to recover my boat seats. What I need specifically is how to cut the vinyl to go around corners. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

02-20-06, 08:29 AM   #2  
I would suggest that you have them done by a decent upholstry shop. You will find the prices worth it. They will check the frames of the seats for integrity, adjust the foam to fit, and attach it to last. If you're set on doing it yourself.... cut plenty of extra vinyl and "stretch" it over the corners, making sure you have padding over the edges of the plywood/plastic frames, as well as smooth edges to avoid cutting through the vinyl. Use monel staples for your work (available at big box stores).

MN

03-23-06, 06:32 PM   #3  
You may find that an upholsterer will do the job better and cheaper than you may think, especially when you factor in the cost of the new vinyl you are paying retail for.

As far as getting around corners, etc...the way I tackle jobs like that is a little bit of trial and error, and common sense. Look at what you have now, and try to emulate it with a small piece of material. You'll get an idea of how pliable and easy( or not ) it is to work with. Planning any project out ahead of time, and dry runs are the best way to do anything. I've seen too many people jump headfirst into a project without thinking about it, only to end up costing them more to have it done right, or fixed after they screwed it up, costing them more money than if they had it done professionally.

Search this Thread