Maintenance on 40 hp outboard

Old 03-20-06, 09:43 PM
Maintenance on 40 hp outboard

The season here, in Vancouver Canada, is just about to start. I have just purchased my first boat with a 2005, 40 hp Merc outboard. What I'd like to know is what sort of preventative maintenance there is that I can do after each: outing, weekly, monthly and yearly. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks a lot,

Lee

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 03:22 PM
suggest getting an owners manual for it if you dont have one also may wish to get a shop manual if your planning on maintaining the engine yourself.
there is not anything that I can think of that would need to be done after each outing depending on how much you use it you may want to grease any grease fittings on the outboard or steering atleast once a month, the lower unit oil is usually changed yearly and the water pump on most outboards usually is changed as maintence every 2 - 3 years, when not being used very much it is also a good idea to use a gas stabilizer or additive that helps keep the fuel from going bad.
im sure someone with more experience maintaining outboards will reply to your post with more suggestions.

Old 03-21-06, 04:00 PM
Vancouver?? That sounds salty to me.... if so - I would recommend a thorough flush after each use as well as a good fresh water rinse of the entire housing/mounting assembly. Overkill?? Maybe - but I've seen to many engines destroyed from exposure to salt water - even though the manufacturers try to design/build for it.

Old 03-21-06, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reply to both of you. I'll get a manual and do the things I can and take it to someone with more experience at the end of the season.

Yes Vancouver is salty. I'll flush it out at the slip where I'll be mooring it for the season. I can let mother nature water off the housing.. this is Vancouver after all.

Thanks a lot,

Lee