small engine carb help needed

Old 04-02-06, 06:43 AM
small engine carb help needed

this is off a '67 johnson 40hp

normally i leave these caps alone, but since there was trouble with the low speed i figured i better take it apart. was cruddy inside, so good thing i did, but now wtf?

i've never installed one of these caps before, so how do i do it? should i use a press? hammer? how do i know when to stop pushing on it, do i just make it so the cap is flat? you can kinda see in the one pic it has a concave/convex shape to it.

--matt

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-06, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by awesomeame
this is off a '67 johnson 40hp

normally i leave these caps alone, but since there was trouble with the low speed i figured i better take it apart. was cruddy inside, so good thing i did, but now wtf?

i've never installed one of these caps before, so how do i do it? should i use a press? hammer? how do i know when to stop pushing on it, do i just make it so the cap is flat? you can kinda see in the one pic it has a concave/convex shape to it.

--matt
Do not hammer it flat - it's intended to be convex. Tap it in lightly, but securely, making sure it is seated all around the perimeter of the circle. If you have a proper sized vise - you can use it to seat the cap instead of hitting it with a hammer (which I hate to do around carburators.....)