Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Charging Deep Cycle Battery

Group Moderator

NC

04-23-06, 05:45 PM   #1  
Charging Deep Cycle Battery

I have a small deep cycle battery (23 amp, 40 amp reserve) and wondering the best way to charge it? I have a 2/6 amp manual charger that has an amp meter. Speed is not a concern so is it better to use the 2 or 6 amp setting? Should I just leave the charger attached until the meter drops to about 1 or less or go by time?

Sponsored Links

04-23-06, 06:47 PM   #2  
Posted By: Pilot Dane I have a small deep cycle battery (23 amp, 40 amp reserve) and wondering the best way to charge it? I have a 2/6 amp manual charger that has an amp meter. Speed is not a concern so is it better to use the 2 or 6 amp setting? Should I just leave the charger attached until the meter drops to about 1 or less or go by time?
Use the 2 amp charger...... slower is better with deep cycle batteries.....

Considering the cost of batteries vs chargers - might be worthwhile to invest in a "trickle charger" that will maintain your charge without burning up your battery over the winter....

Group Moderator

NC

04-23-06, 06:55 PM   #3  
I also have a 500ma automatic charger that is sold for charging small sealed lead/acid batteries. I do not know if a sealed battery needs different charging than a wet style.

I am not concerned about keeping the battery topped off for winter. I use it year round on weekends powering my trolling motor to chase koi around the pond. I use the battery for the weekend and then have the week to charge it up for the next weekend.

SD

04-24-06, 07:28 PM   #4  
I use a Marine Deep Cell Battery Charger. It cost a little more, but it does so much more. The last thing I want is my trolling more battery to die especially when the fish are biting.

05-23-06, 01:09 PM   #5  
As thezster says slower is better for battery charging. Most of the battery chargers made in the last 30 years have an automatic feature that reduces the amperage as the battery get charged. I have a 10/2 charger and when I start it up on 2 amps it jumps to 6 or 7 amps then quickly settles down to 2. When I come back several hours later it's almost down to zero. If you still have the manual for your charger you might want to see if it has this feature.

Search this Thread