Kawasaki Jet Ski: starting problem

Old 05-07-06, 07:03 AM
Kawasaki Jet Ski: starting problem

jet ski was made in CA. Due to emission control required in CA its designed so fuel drains back into tank when ski not in use. This makes it almost impossible to start next day.

Have actually had to prime by removing spark plugs and put a little fuel in cylinders and then it starts right up. Would like to modify fuel set up with a priming system.

If any one has done this, please tell me how, i.e. whethere you use push/pull primer or squeeze bulb style... where you mounted the add-ons... and where I can find coast guard approved parts to do it.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
I had similar problems with my non-CA Kawasaki 750. The choke came from the factory/dealer with the choke improperly adjusted. After adjusting it so it would fully close starting improved dramitically. I still have to turn it over for 10-15 seconds if it sits for a few days. Once it has been run it fires right up for the rest of the weekend.

Old 05-12-06, 10:54 AM
Primer Kit

Hi,
I just installed a primer kit on my Yamaha 98 XL760 because I was having trouble with cold starts. The kit I would suggest is made by Atlantis they make the best kits and include clear instructions. I bought mine from here: http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/intake_accessories.htm The only difficult part of the install is taking the choke plates out. This can be accomplished by taking the carbs off the engine or by very carefully cutting the choke shafts with a dremel tool (which is the way took them out). Here is some more basic info http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...n=Custom&ID=15

Last edited by adam.van; 05-12-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 04:56 PM
Smile Adam... Dane... thanks

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your posts. I got sidetracked and hadn't had a chance to get back to this thread.
I will check the choke adjustment and the web site that was suggested for the primer kit.

Again, many thanks

Old 06-15-06, 05:21 PM
I agree with the primer, I installed one on my 94 raider and like it. Make sure of the hose length before you cut it. You may have to enlarge the old choke hole for the primer. My screws twisted off on 3 of 4 and I also cut the shaft with a cutoff tool. I used a small socket to help drive the fittings in the carbs

Old 06-22-06, 08:21 AM
Exclamation Choke adjustiment (and maybe primer kits)

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
I had similar problems with my non-CA Kawasaki 750. The choke came from the factory/dealer with the choke improperly adjusted. After adjusting it so it would fully close starting improved dramitically. I still have to turn it over for 10-15 seconds if it sits for a few days. Once it has been run it fires right up for the rest of the weekend.
I have a 98' STX 900 that runs like new - except for cold starts. The problem seems exactly like what you all have described above… I know I could install a primer kit with specific instructions, but the website above seem kind of vague to me.

I am more comfortable with adjusting the choke... Is this something that I can do myself without needing specific tools/knowledge from a Kawasaki dealer? If so do you know where I can find instructions?

Also, which primer kit would I need, and are any more detailed instructions that you know of... possibly with pictures.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-22-06, 02:34 PM
There are a few ways to approach it. Mine is a dual carb. 1 way is to take the cabs off, take the buterflies out / off, install brass fittings,install new carb gasket, re-install carb, fit primer and fuel lines, go ride.
2.(my way) leave carbs on, try to unscrew butterflies from choke rod, break small screws off, get mad, pull one choke rod out ok, still mad, try to pull other choke rod but will not come out, get cut off wheel on handheld grinder and cut brass rod into, now pull rod out.(caution although rod is brass there is still gas vapors and a chance of explosion or fire....). Make sure no screws, parts, gasket material gets down in carb bodies. Install 2 plugs and 2 brass nipples, measure fuel lines, cut lines, T into return fuel line, T dual or tripple carbs, run 1 line to primer and back to carb(s). The kits come with generic instructions that are pretty good. You might / will need screwdriver, knife, metric sockets,ratchet, small blunt nose punch and hammer to drive in plugs, small socket to put over nipples to drive in, may need a large drill bit to enlarge choke hole for primer, fire suppression device, beer, they make single, dual, and tripple kits for both types of carbs.

Old 06-22-06, 04:42 PM
primer & choke

Ha - Ill take the first route and maybe a beer... do you know where I can find details about the process - like what does the carb and butterfly look like?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-22-06, 06:46 PM
Not to be a smart ?ss or anything but if you have any doubt about the process, buy more beer and ask a friend to help. The carb removal is the safest but also the hardest and you will need to buy a gasket or two when you order your kit. And take a big chance of getting the carbs out of sync, or tune. I will see if I can find the directions and post them or e-mail them. You might be better off adjusting and making sure your choke is working correctly. The primer kit they say adds a little performance and easier starting, but who knows.