55hp Johnson "surges"

Old 05-15-06, 06:14 PM
55hp Johnson "surges"

I Have A '68 55hp Johnson, Adjusted The Low Speed So It Wouldn't Want To Stall At Idle, But Since, When I Get Up To 100% It Sometimes "surges" Like It's Running Out Of Gas. If I Just Back It Off A Little, It's Fine. Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-06, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
do you mean back off the power or the low speed screw you may have adjusted it to much

Originally Posted by pfeff825
I Have A '68 55hp Johnson, Adjusted The Low Speed So It Wouldn't Want To Stall At Idle, But Since, When I Get Up To 100% It Sometimes "surges" Like It's Running Out Of Gas. If I Just Back It Off A Little, It's Fine. Any Ideas?

Old 05-22-06, 05:00 PM
yes, when i back off the throttle a touch, it's fine, i haven't made any other carb adjusts yet, thought i'd see if anyone has any ideas first, thanks

Old 05-25-06, 03:10 AM
Pwrbait
Visiting Guest
I've ran into this exact problem on a number of different Johnson/Evinrudes. What I found is in your wiring harness there is a diode which is used in the high speed advance circuit and when it craps out causes this problem. The engine will act like it's cutting in and out or getting fuel, then no fuel...fuel/no fuel, but will only happen at WOT. Good luck finding the diode in the wiring schematic too...even some of the current ones don't show it, but it's in the spark advance circuit, off the pickup under the flywheel.
Chris

Old 05-26-06, 06:50 PM
I'll start looking, thanks alot, sounds exactly like what i have going on, like i'm running out of gas.

Search this Thread