prop problems (Merged Threads & Posts)

Old 05-24-06, 03:04 AM
prop problems (Merged Threads & Posts)

Help I have 3.0 L mercuiser. 19 ft stingray I recently tuned up my engine and thought i would clean the prop up. I filed the edges to smooth out the dings and nicks now the boat sounds great but is 10 MPH slower did I change the performance of the prop

Last edited by davidroy; 05-24-06 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 12:26 PM
probably filing on a prop probably isnt a good idea.

Old 05-24-06, 08:05 PM
Is my prop at fault ?

Help I have 3.0 L mercuiser. 19 ft stingray I recently tuned up my engine and thought i would clean the prop up. I filed the edges to smooth out the dings and nicks now the boat sounds great but is 10 MPH slower did I change the performance of the prop. anyone out there

Last edited by davidroy; 05-25-06 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 12:07 AM
anybody boat problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help I have 3.0 L mercruiser. 19 ft stingray I recently tuned up my engine and thought i would clean the prop up. I filed the edges to smooth out the dings and nicks now the boat sounds great but is 10 MPH slower did I change the performance of the prop problem

Old 05-25-06, 03:00 AM
Pwrbait
Visiting Guest
You changed it BIG TIME!! A prop is measured in size and pitch, such as 15X20. Which means it's 15 inches in diameter and has a 20 inch pitch. The pitch is the distanch the prop will travel forward (in inches) during one revolution. By filing the nicks out of your prop you've chanced the pitch. Not only will this cause you to go slower (or faster in some cases), but you've significantly changed the load placed on your engine and outdrive. Some props also have a cup or super cup put into the blade tips to improve performance depending on the size of boat and application. You need to take your prop to your loal prop shop to be reworked back to the original dimensions. More than likely it will be cheaper to have this done then to buy a new prop.
Chris

Old 05-28-06, 10:00 AM
Prop?

A service man ground a lot off a prop for me years ago, after I hit a reef. About 1' or more all around about a 12" dia prop.
The loss of thrust area reduced speed and increased engine rpm - pointless effort since the prop was ruined anyway.
Removing nicks with a file without effecting angles of attack should not reduce speed.
I think you should look to your tuneup for the carb adjustment not correct, and swap with the spare prop to be sure.

Old 05-28-06, 10:21 AM
Pwrbait
Visiting Guest
David, I posted this la few days ago when you asked about this.
Chris

You changed it BIG TIME!! A prop is measured in size and pitch, such as 15X20. Which means it's 15 inches in diameter and has a 20 inch pitch. The pitch is the distanch the prop will travel forward (in inches) during one revolution. By filing the nicks out of your prop you've chanced the pitch. Not only will this cause you to go slower (or faster in some cases), but you've significantly changed the load placed on your engine and outdrive. Some props also have a cup or super cup put into the blade tips to improve performance depending on the size of boat and application. You need to take your prop to your loal prop shop to be reworked back to the original dimensions. More than likely it will be cheaper to have this done then to buy a new prop.
Chris

Old 05-31-06, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Smile Forums Monitors Note

All prior posts on this subject have now been merged together.
Doing so keeps all exchanges of communications together for ease of following along. Kindly use the REPLY button to continue this thread (subject) until completion is accomplished.

Thanks
Web Site Host and Forums Monitor.

Old 06-02-06, 09:56 PM
Wink

What did the tack say in ####. Like said get a new prop the same size and pitch. If it tacked out ok and did the job for you when you ran the boat.

ED

Old 06-05-06, 03:47 AM
My 90 3.0 WOT is 44-46K with a 3 blade Al. 19 P I'm in the range and about 42 MPH loaded. With a 4 blade AL 18P in the range and 35-37 MPH loaded.