Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

50 evinrude need help

05-25-06, 07:59 PM   #1  
50 evinrude need help

I just bought a 50 horse evinrude 97 model 2 stroke when i put it in the water and put a load on it i have to press choke every 3-5 secs to make it run wide open.(this was first run of today)then i took carbs off and cleaned them thourghly.put it back in water and now it doesnt want to even go full throttle and the same thing still happens with choke,but it isnt full it only a little.(second run of the day) it had fuel problems before (the guy thinks) that the plastic gas tank was leaking air and causing the bottom carb to foam white. i fixed this problem with better fuel and a newer tank and newer line (but not brand new)is there anything else i can do like maybe fuel pump is going out or maybe it out of time i cant figure it out please help

Sponsored Links

05-26-06, 05:46 AM   #2  
Hey

While running does the primer bulb stay tight? The reason it runs better when you press the choke is that it injects fuel into the carb. This is what leads me to beleave that its not the carbs its what feeding the carbs. The fuel pump works on vacuum so make sure you lines are in good shape. Also do you have any type of fuel filter? If so make sure its not cloged.

When you cleaned the carbs did you do a complete teardown. There are alot of little orifices that can get clogged thet need to be clear and free of debris.

05-26-06, 07:02 AM   #3  

ok the bulb is tight but u can squeeze it a little while running but it doesnt change the way it runs also how do u get the carbs back in sequence .i did a complete teardown on the carbs and cleaned every little hole and everything. i think the top carb is getting the right suction b/c if i place my hand over the top carb while running it will die,but i can place my hand over the bottom one and it continues to run but i know it getting fuel cause lots of fuel comes out when you remove your hand off the bottom carb and we checked spark on each cylinder its getting fire .any other things i should check maybe vacuum lines or fuel pump. it starts to get confusing at this point

Visiting Guest

05-26-06, 02:57 PM   #4  
Pwrbait
You will need to do a sync and link on your carb set first. Get yourself a repair manual and it will tell you how you synchronize the carbs and linkage connecting them. Without this being properly adjusted (and there is a [I]very[I] specific procedure for this), your carbs will not be delivering fuel at the same time/rates. You also need to inspect all your fule lines for cracks or degradation. Depending on the conditions your engine was under, I don't know where you live, but temperature extremes cause fuel line to deteriorate rapidly...also, long term storage is the number one cause of fuel line degradation. If the engine has been sitting, replace all the lines. Like Bill said before, the system runs on vaccuum, so a minute crack or pinhole will cause a big problem. Once you've done the sync & link, and checked or replaced your lines, replaced the fuel filter (cheap and should be done anyway), let us know how things have gone and we'll go from there.
Chris

05-29-06, 11:07 AM   #5  

thanks for the information let me explain what i found. The lines going to the carbs where rubber when ever you nailed it trying to get on a plane the carb lines leaked air into carbs causing them to act like they where starving for fuel(the reason i would go when hitting choke)so i zip tied the lines right at the carbs where the gas was leaking from also the bottom carb had been acting funny like it wasnt getting fuel at all so we took carbs apart again and found that the bottom float wasnt broke but it didnt sit on there the same way as the top carb.So i bent the edge of the bowl where the jet sits to make it level with the other float in the top carb and voila it will get up and haul some major _ _ _! thanks guys for the information i have recevied from you.thanks again Happy Boater

Search this Thread