Boat Lights on Lund

Old 05-30-06, 07:01 PM
Boat Lights on Lund

I have a 1986 Lund Tyee. My bow and stern lights worked when the boat was stored last year, but don't work now. How do I find out what the problem is? The fuses and bulbs are fine and other things running off the battery work (aerator, bilge).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 08:03 AM
Pwrbait
Visiting Guest
First, start with some simple troubleshooting: Just to make sure the lamps are good, replace them with known working ones to verify that isn't the problem. Is your stern light a removable post? If it is, 90% of the cause for this not working is corrosion on the contacts, same goes for the bow light. Moisture gets into the fixture from condensation and corrodes the contacts. Clean all your contacts, then take a volt meter or test light and verify you have the correct amount of voltage. If you have less than 12 volts, then you need to start looking for corrosion or breaks in your connections between the battery and your wiring block, from your wiring block to the switch, from the switch to the lights. If only the bow and stern light don't work and they are on a common switch, use your meter or test light to make sure the switch is good, also check to see if the lamps are wired in series, if one burns out neither work, so again, verify good lamps. If you do have 12 volts at the fixtures, then you can bet the farm on corrosion between the fixture contacts and the lamps or bad lamps. Let us know what you find.
Chris

Old 06-02-06, 09:43 PM
Wink

Check all like said for sure . Also Id say you cant own a boat if you dont get just a cheap Volt/OHM meter. To test everthing out on the boat. We also seal any wire nuts and like butt connectors on the wire with caulk like GE or 5200
ED