Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine quits running

06-23-06, 12:26 PM   #1  
engine quits running

A 4hp Johnson, 4W76M. It has been in storage for over a year. Starts and runs good for about 5 to 7 min.. It appears to get extremely hot and then shuts down. I have replaced the plugs, waterpump, points and condensers. As soon as it shut down I checked to see if there was fire to the plugs, there was. The plugs were too hot to handle with my bare hands. Is this normal? I checked the screened filter on the fuel pump, it was clean. When I took the line from the pump I could hear a hissing sound coming from the fuel pump. As I loosening the four mounting screws from pump the hissing sound stopped. It sounded like hot fuel escaping. I need some advice. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-24-06, 08:20 AM   #2  
Pwrbait
Are you getting good flow out of the tell tale? Check to make sure the pick-up tube is aligned correctly.

06-24-06, 07:47 PM   #3  
engine quits running

The water pick up tube? I took the foot off and checked the alignment of the tube from the water pump, it appears okay. There appears to be sufficent water going through the engine. Could it be something else, like a bad coil? I had someone tell me that it could be the coil. The problem was there before I did any maintenance on the engine. Initially it was running good, but suddenly started over heating.

Visiting Guest

06-25-06, 05:35 AM   #4  
Pwrbait
Does your water flow come out of a small tube next to the power head, or does it come out of a series of small holes around the exhaust port. The cooling system of that engine is pretty basic, and being as small as it is, water flow blockage is a major deal. The first thing is to establish water flow. Thats why I'm asking about where it comes out at. If your water exhaust has little to no flow, then you've narrowed the problem down drasitcally. Did you use RTV when you put the water pump back together? I can't see where a coil would cause an overheat.
Chris

Search this Thread