Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Running after Carb rebuild required ?????

06-26-06, 09:55 AM   #1  
Running after Carb rebuild required ?????

Hello;
I have an93 65HP Evenrude that always ran sweet untill the beginning of this year. Shop owner said the 3 carbs neded to be rebuilt which was done. I didn't get to use the bost for 3 months due to illness. It would start but would not obtain over 3K RPM On top og that all the new fuel lines split and had raw gas all over the place. Shop said it was my fault because I was supposed to immediatel run 2 tanks of gas through the engine on the lake to clean out the chemicals they use. No he never told me to do that.....He said the carbs were sludged up again and had to be torn down and cleaned. The gas lines were supposed to be OMC so he didn't know why they all split open.

Another large bill to fix it and going out to the lake yesterday with another tank of Premium gas it was the same problem. Started fine but would only turn over 3K rpm.

Have I been had by the dealership? $1,000.00 down the tubes and a boat that still won't run. Want to get facts before I confront him again.

Thank you Much for any help here.

Mike

Sponsored Links

06-26-06, 07:08 PM   #2  
I would ask the service manager to show me where it states that you have to run two tanks of gas thru the carbs after a rebuild!!

If the carbs were rebuilt, the technician should have test ran and adjusted the carbs afterwards. During the test run, most if not all of the chemicals used for the rebuilds would have been flushed out.

Even though you should have treated your fuel and run it thru the fuel system, It's hard to believe three months of sitting would have "sludged up" the carbs again unless you really had some extremely bad gas in the fuel tank.

If they rebuilt the carbs again and its doing the same thing as it was doing previously, they are obviously missing something (ie. fuel pump or vro pump, etc).

Good luck,
MM

06-27-06, 07:59 AM   #3  
Thaank you for the reply. Found out they just soak the carbs instead of manually cleaning them. They obviously didn;t run the motor when they were done to clean ouyt the chemicals the carbs were soaking in and that created the sludge. The tank was full of new premium fuel with gas stabalizer in it when they got it the first time.

Mike

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

06-27-06, 09:18 PM   #4  
Posted By: ratpack38 Thaank you for the reply. Found out they just soak the carbs instead of manually cleaning them. They obviously didn;t run the motor when they were done to clean ouyt the chemicals the carbs were soaking in and that created the sludge. The tank was full of new premium fuel with gas stabalizer in it when they got it the first time.

Mike

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"
What the heck kind of shop rebuilds carbs like that??

If you provided them premium gas with stabilizer added the first time they so called rebuilt the carb, you have done nothing wrong on your part!

How can the shop tell if the carbs where rebuilt and adjusted properly if they just soaked it and then give it to the customer to run?? How would they know if the high speed jets or the emulsion tubes were properly cleaned out so the carb wouldnt run too lean and melt a piston?? How would the shop even know if the motor would even idle after the rebuild if they didnt test run it? These are the questions I would be asking the service manager or owner as I was demanding a refund.

Holy smokes, this so called "shop" is a disaster waiting to happen. I would seriously contest the charges of the first and second carb rebuild and find an authorized OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) dealer near you.

Here's a link for the Evinrude dealer locator in case you didnt know:

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Dealer.htm

I hope you get your running problem resolved. I hate reading about incompetent shops like the one you're dealing with giving professionals in the boating industry (like myself) a bad name.

Good luck,
MM

Search this Thread