Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I/O boat transom strength

07-09-06, 06:06 AM   #1  

I have a 21 foot1974 Bayliner with a mercruiser I/O. How crucial is transom strength for an I/O? The problem is that basically the lower half of the wood in the transom is rotten. I did a two sq. ft. patch on the port side of the I/O where I put a 9.9 kicker, but the rest of the lower portion of the transom is in poor condition. The outer fiberglass portion of the transom is solid and is about 1/8 inch thick. My thinking was that an I/O does not stress the transom nearly as much as an outboard so as long as I don't put any extra stress on it, like pulling another boat, it would be Ok. Am I flirting with danger?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-10-06, 04:49 PM   #2  
Pwrbait
Don't think so much in terms of the stress in a forward/backwards direction, but in a lateral direction. Just like the bed of a pickup, the tailgate prevents the upper rails of the bed from collapsing inwards, one of the transom's functions is the same. It keeps the sides of the hull from collapsing inwards, or splaying outwards on the under-hull side. So yes, having your transome in good shape is a necessity. Also for all of the reasons you have thought of. And just for some info, when you are towing, the stress point caused by the tow line is right at the point the line is made off at. That's why you see salvage or Coast Guard boats who are doing a stern tow, using a tow bit. If you were to tow someone from the stern by a cleat, you would want a backing plate behond the cleat to prevent tearout. It doesn't really apply so much in an along-side tow, since you use four lines for your forward/backwards control.
Chris

07-10-06, 07:08 PM   #3  

Thanks Chris. This boat also has a built in fish well across the back which is tied in to the transom and the gunwhales which would help provide lateral support. I will keep a close eye on it for the rest of this season and then rebuild it for next year.

Search this Thread