Sea King outboard motors-recently aquired

Old 07-11-06, 09:12 AM
Sea King outboard motors-recently aquired

Hello, newbee here.
I picked up 2 sea-king/Montgomery Wards outboard engines. (model #'s at bottom)
I would like to know...
(1) who made the motors and what year?
(2) what oil to use for gas mixture-(nameplates of both motors say mix 1/2 pint number 30 oil to 1 gallon of gas.) Previous owner gave me 2-quarts of valvoline 30 weight "non-detergent" oil with the motors, I assume he is correct, as he owned them-but both motors have been in storage for 20 years or so, and he's "pretty sure" that the 30 non-detergent is the oil that was being used - I guess the real question here is, Detergent or non-detergent 30 weight oil?
O.K., I'm sure more questions will follow..
(I have verified spark, removed the fly wheel and checked the points, cleaned the gas tank, filled the lower unit with SAE 90 hypoid gear oil (as stated on nameplate of motor), cleaned "cork float" cavity - All done on the 5.0 horse engine, I also have a 12.0 horse to go through. Both motors appear to be in very good condition.

MODEL #'S

5.0 H.P. @ 4000 R.P.M., O.B.C. Certification.
Model: 15GG-9015

12.0 H.P. @ 4000 R.P.M., O.B.C. Certification.
Model: 35GG-9018A

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 12:23 PM
Pwrbait
Visiting Guest
The gas mix is just as stated 30:1 of two cycle oil, which is a high detergent 30 weight with other additives. The 15GG-9015 was made somewhere between 1951-54, and the 35GG-9018A was 1951-53. Hit outboardrepairs.com for a source for parts. I don't know of cross-overs, but someone there should.
-Chris

Old 07-12-06, 07:50 PM
Thanks Chris for the info.
I plan on trying the 5 horse on the lake tommorrow.
A mechanic here told me if the previous owner ran 30 weight "non-detergent", I should do the same. He says the detergent oil will clean and break down current motor deposites that could break a ring or something else in the motor.
To me, that's scarry. I would like to run 30 weight detergent oil, it is much easier to find than the non-detergent and helps clean the motor, but If going to detergent could damage the motor, well I guesse that's not good either.
Needless to say, I am a little uncomfortable about the oil mix.

Old 07-13-06, 02:24 PM
Just got back from the lake.
Motor ran well.
Not sure about the velocity of the water pump though. Nothing coming out of the tel-tale tube, but there is flow out the exhaust. Water is coming out of the exhaust at a fair rate, but it's not gushing out hard. I'm not sure how much to expect.
Ran the motor for over an hour - no odd changes in the sound and no hesitations.
I going to start a new post and ask pump Q's

Old 07-15-06, 06:14 PM
Pwrbait
Visiting Guest
A motor that small doesn't have a tell tale. The water flow is out the exhaust. It won't have any pressure, just volume, since there is no back pressure.
-Chris