1973 65hp evinrude runs 5 min top speed

Old 07-14-06, 05:09 PM
1973 65hp evinrude runs 5 min top speed

1973 65 hp evinrude 3cyl runs about 5 or 10 minutes at high speed then it acts like it is running on one cyl. i have replaced the capacitor discharge ignition unit, the charge coil and stator, and ignition coils and spark plugs. the timer coils have not been changed, however i checked them for resistence and the were the same when hot or cold. checked out the overtemp sensor switch by shorting and the buzzer went off. engine shows no sign of overheating. after the engine cools for about an hour it will run for 5 or 10 minutes. an at a loss as to what to do next!!!

any help will be apprecated
kellar

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 08:18 PM
motor

have you checked your gas line to make sure your not getting air that will make it run like that as well see if pump ball is hard at high speed

Old 07-25-06, 03:08 PM
kellar

changed tanks and still the problem. the bulb is hard and the tank that is plastic started to squash in because i did not open vent. i will put a fuel pump kit in and see if that is it, i am at a complete loss.
thanks herb k

Old 07-25-06, 08:27 PM
check carb needle for sticking

Sounds like fuel not electrical

Old 07-26-06, 04:07 AM
try to spray atomized fuel into carbs while it starts to act up, this will tell you if it is fuel related