Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sea Doo problem

07-17-06, 06:21 AM   #1  
Sea Doo problem

I have a '99 GTX RFI. The warning light that says 12V low flashes after I get off of idle speed, even with a new battery. I had the problem earlier but it went away after putting in a new battery and came back after 3 weeks or so. Could it be my voltage regulator, or any other ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-17-06, 09:47 PM   #2  
Pwrbait
Could be a host of things. It's probably why you had to replace the battery. Voltage regulator, generator, rectifier, bad connection, corrosion... If you know how and have the meters, check out your charging system really well, if not, have your mechanic give it the once over. In any case, whatever is causing the problem is going to cost you another battery if you don't get it taken care of.

07-18-06, 06:36 AM   #3  
sea doo problem

Thanks for the info. I guess what confused me was that the problem went away for awhile after replacing the battery the first time, and this time I had the problem immediately after replacing the battery. The connections are good, clean, and tight so I guess I'll have to get out my meter. Do you know if leaving the lanyard key attached to the terminal post when the machine isn't running will kill the battery?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-18-06, 07:09 PM   #4  
Get a multimeter. Start it up. disconnect the battery measure the voltage across the terminals. see if it is atleast 14V

Visiting Guest

07-19-06, 02:34 AM   #5  
Pwrbait
I would avoid doing that. That is a good way to fry a rectifier or the regulator. Without a complete path for the current to go, it does things it's not suppossed to. You can check that voltage reading at the generator output.

Search this Thread