boat loading on trailer

Old 07-22-06, 04:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
boat loading on trailer

I just got a nice used 18' four winns. My first outing went well till it was time to load the boat on the trailer. I had a difficult time trying to get the boat to sit level on the trailer. It has rollers cradle (terminology??). I had the trailer wheels below the water and tried to slowly drive the boat on the trailer,but 2 out the 3 tries the boat was tilted on the trailer.
I need advice as to how the rollers should be adjusted because i think the boat should align itself to the rollers.
Any suggestions would be of great help to me,and other boaters waiting for me to get my boat out of the water.
Thanks

Old 07-22-06, 05:24 PM
S
Go when it's not busy and practice. There's nothing worse than taking 20 minutes to load on a busy day. I'm in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Old 07-22-06, 06:28 PM
Your probably right

Old 07-23-06, 01:46 AM
B
after loading it several times you will get better you may have to vary how far you back in the trailer depending on how steep the ramp is, generally you will want to see the trailer fenders or the top of the tires to help you center it when you drive on if th trailer is to deep the back end may float around a little.

Old 07-23-06, 03:40 AM
J
rollers vs. bunks

My experience with trailers is that if you want to "drive on", use bunk trailers, roller trailers just don't work as well, the boat just don't want to stay in one place with rollers when driving on and trying to park it.

Old 07-23-06, 05:20 AM
Bejay and jbj220,
Many thnks for your opinions and suggestions. I mthink the trailer was probably too far in the water because the fenders were submerged about 6", and your right about the rear end drifting around.I think thats why it was tilted when i pulled it out of the water. Just more practice on my part. Good point about trying to "drive on".
dasede

Old 07-23-06, 01:58 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The key to loading a boat on a trailer is "slow/slow/slow". Don't rush it.... take your time - center the boat - lock onto the bow hook - and make sure the rear is aligned before pulling the trailer out of the water. If the ramp is not to steep, you can leave the trailer out of the water enough to have to winch it (the boat) in and tight. Even with a "slow/slow/slow" approach - you can be in and out of the ramp in under 3 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Personally, I love to hang around the docks on a busy Sunday afternoon to watch the "yahoos" load their boats...... especially after I have my 8 year old son drive on to my trailer, secure the unit - and pull him/the boat out - all in under 60 seconds.....

Old 07-23-06, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Till you get the hang of it . pull it on with the winch. Also it helps to put some pvc pipe uprights on each side of the boat at the end of the trailer.

ED

Old 07-24-06, 04:01 AM
Thanks thezster and ed,
More good points.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: