Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Random Questions from a newbie merc(broken) owner

07-25-06, 09:30 AM   #1  
Random Questions from a newbie merc(broken) owner

I have an 87 merc 3.7L 4cyclinder with an oil pan leak (I think) and so I am pulling the motor and replacing the gasket and the seals (lip seals?).

While it's out I want to do as much stuff as possible so I am not kicking myself for skipping something. I was thinking paying a guyto replace the the bellows and gimbal bearing for 500 bucks(with parts), but he said I should do the motor mounts too?(18 each +another 1/2 hour) My question is why they aren't broke, Are they that vuneralbile to breakage?

More questions, should I do the bellows, gimbal, and water hose myself? I read that it's a killer! I am only saving 1/2 of work by taking it to him with the outdrive off. The bellows look worn and slightly cracked and the clips are all rusted, could it wait till next year?

Sponsored Links

07-25-06, 04:01 PM   #2  
Posted By: llsouder I have an 87 merc 3.7L 4cyclinder with an oil pan leak (I think) and so I am pulling the motor and replacing the gasket and the seals (lip seals?).

While it's out I want to do as much stuff as possible so I am not kicking myself for skipping something. I was thinking paying a guyto replace the the bellows and gimbal bearing for 500 bucks(with parts), but he said I should do the motor mounts too?(18 each +another 1/2 hour) My question is why they aren't broke, Are they that vuneralbile to breakage?

More questions, should I do the bellows, gimbal, and water hose myself? I read that it's a killer! I am only saving 1/2 of work by taking it to him with the outdrive off. The bellows look worn and slightly cracked and the clips are all rusted, could it wait till next year?
I'm not real familiar with Merc in/outs - But - a lot of I/O's have rubber bushings in the motor mounts that take up vibration. On a 19yr old installation - those rubber bushings can deteriorate to the point of being non-existent. It's cheap to replace - and not worry about in the future.
As far as "DIY" - depends totally on your skills as a mechanic. Replacing those items is fairly straightforward - but does require some skill with tools. Additionally, you want to be sure the system is properly aligned to avoid future damage.
Wait?? If the bellows are already cracked - are you willing to take the chance on flooding your boat when they let loose?

Search this Thread