Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

is it worth it? (Boat Repair)

08-05-06, 05:18 PM   #1  
is it worth it? (Boat Repair)

I have a 1978 Glastron 17 ft with a 130 hp volvo inboard. The floor seems a little soft. Can I tear up the carpet and put some treated plywood down? This boat is going to be a project. Anything I should look at to determine if I should put my time, effort and money into this boat. Any input will be helpful. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

08-05-06, 11:13 PM   #2  
I wonder if it would be economically viable to have foam injected into the voids under the floor? It would give some support to the floor and add flotation.

Visiting Guest

08-06-06, 06:48 AM   #3  
Pwrbait
See our post on aluminum floor replacement. The same applies to your boat. If you believe the foam in the keel is suspect, drill a small, easily reparible hole, to see if water comes out. If it does, you have a big problem. If the foam is dry, your all set. Anywhere there is wood, check for rot and delamination, especially around the engine compartment and around the battery area. On a boat that age, check you electrical system's wiring for degraded insulation and cracks. If you have a fuse block, consider updrading to a circuit panel. This is just a small list of things to look at. We could go on for days if your looking to do a stem to stern.
-Chris

08-06-06, 12:27 PM   #4  
Thanks. I will drill a hole to see if the foam is dry. The floor seems solid around the motor and battery. I'll tear into it and see what I got.

MO

08-06-06, 09:56 PM   #5  
Im with Pwrbait. Check it out can be a good boat for you. . But check out if there is any water down in the bottom there. That would be like had a lot of dinghys well known name. Got so heavy from water in the poly and foam. 6 guys couldnt pick them up. Cut it all out and put air tank in. Id rebuild it with new wood. Put polystyrene under the floor. But rig it so you will have a drain plug. When it is up out of the water you can pull the plug and check if any water is in it under the new floor.
ED

Search this Thread