1993 90hp force problems

Old 08-26-06, 11:05 AM
1993 90hp force problems

I have a 90hp force on a 18ft bayliner. I am so tired of trying to figure out what the problems is I am ready to just try to sell it. The biggest issue is trying to start it after driving around the lake. Doesn't matter if it is a short or long trip. Half of the time I can just turn the key and it will start,but when I go to take off it just dieds. like it can't get enough gas. Then when i try to restart it take up to 15 minutes. When in this state I have tried choking it and it would start, I would rev the engine in nutreal for a few minutes. Then try putting it in gear and it would die again when I tried to take off. I have had the most luck doing this after I got it started again. Put it in gear and go slow of a few minutes, then give it a little gas at a time until it would go fast again. Once I get it to where I can go fast if I want I have no problems until I turn it off again and try to restart. Sometimes it will just die if I have it idling for a few minutes. I talked to a guy on the lake one day (had the same boat & motor) he was saying something about this motor has a problem with gas in the carbs when you turn them off? has anyone heard of this problem or can give advice on what to do? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-06, 12:08 PM
It sounds like it is a fuel problem. Spray some atomized fuel in the carbs while the engine starts to act up. If the engine runs better when you do that you will probably have to clean the carbs. Choking it while it starts to act up will tell you the same thing.
I would start with just cleaning out the carbs and fuel filters first and go from there.

Search this Thread