amount of fuel in the tank

Old 10-05-06, 12:06 PM
amount of fuel in the tank

how much fuel should i leave in the tanks for the winter right now they are both between a 1/4 and a 1/2 (90 gal tanks). I am outside Annapolis and boat will be shrinkwraped on a lift in the back yard

TIA paul

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-06, 12:23 PM
I always fill the tanks and add stabilizer - to protect the gas and prevent evaporation/condensation within the tanks.

Old 10-05-06, 12:37 PM
Wink

Im with thezster
Always fill the tank so you dont get condensation in the tank and be sure and add the stabilizer to it. Also if you can I like to pump off the bottom of the tank and see if there is any water down in it if so pump that out.
It also is better to have full tanks . That if there is a fire they will burn A 1/2 full tank can blow up.

My .02 cents ED

Old 10-05-06, 05:20 PM
The mechanics at my marina won't winterize my I/O without filling the tanks, then adding stabilizer. If I don't fill it up first, they fill it up and charge me for the gas.

Old 10-05-06, 06:16 PM
Hopefully they're adding the stabilizer first - then the gas - to assist in mixing it in the tanks.

Old 10-06-06, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by thezster
Hopefully they're adding the stabilizer first - then the gas - to assist in mixing it in the tanks.
Good point. I actually do it. I add the stabilizer before I pull over to the gas dock - this year we used the boat so little that I have kept stabilizer in it since July. I keep the boat on a lift, and they have a pontoon equipped to do repairs that they just pull up behind each boat, and winterize it in place. It would be a hassle for them to drop the boat, take it to the gas dock, then bring it back/replace the cover/etc. Better if I just do it.