Losing oil from my alpha 1 outdrive

Old 11-03-06, 03:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Losing oil from my alpha 1 outdrive

I have a 1999 Hurricane Deck boat with a 305 and Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. It has a lower unit oil reservoir with alarm mounted on the front of the engine and over this last summer I had to fill the reservoir as it was nearly dry. I was watching it and noticed it is slowly losing oil tho I can't find from where. I let some oil drain from the drain plug and it looks good, no metal and not milky at all, actually still dark blue. Also, just after towing the kids on a tube last summer, I was sitting on the back and put my foot on the top of the outdrive and it was very hot. It cooled off very quickly, but I wasn't sure if this was an indication of a problem. It was hot enough that I couldnt leave my foot on it for more than a few seconds. I was going to have my boat winterized and have the lower unit dropped by a local shop. They advertise that they "replace the seals" in the lower unit. Do you think this is what I need to do to resolve the oil leak? Any other advice appreciated.

Old 11-04-06, 01:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

They advertise that they "replace the seals" in the lower unit. Do you think this is what I need to do to resolve the oil leak?
Id say thats what you need. But check the prop shaft for sure. if there is any wear on it where it is in the seals .Then the seal will leak again in a very short time.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: