GE 1 HP Boatlift Motor Wiring Question?

Old 12-04-06, 08:18 AM
GE 1 HP Boatlift Motor Wiring Question?

Posted this in the Electrical forum as well...

3 year old "used" 12k lb United Boatlift brand high profile lift utilizing two 1hp GE electric motors.

There's an access panel on each motor to move the wire connectors around for either a 120V setup, or a 240V setup. I'd like to know the configurations for both (I have no diagram or schematics that came with the 3 yr old lift I purchased).

From the switches (Furnas manual rotary type up/down one for each motor) there are five wires. Red; Black; Orange; White; Green.

The motor itself has Yellow; Red; Black; Blue; White

The connectors or tabs on the motor bodies themselves are numbered 1; 2; 3 & A; and 4.

These motors of course run in both directions (up/down). Is anyone familiar with these motors in terms of how the wires inside the access panel should be configured for 120 and/or 240V operations? Or know where I could go online to get a schematic or diagram of such?

Also I currently have the Furnas brand rotary switches which have FOUR wires that run from the switch to the motor. Where the wires connect on the back of the switch itself there are terminals labeled in clockwise order #1; #2; L2; #3; #4; and L1. Two of those terminals are for the feed power of a white and black wire. There's also a bare copper for equipment ground.

Is this switch to be wired/connected the same in both the 120 and 240 volt setup? Or do they have to be moved around as well? I'm assuming if not, how about the two feed wires from the power source?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 08:32 AM
Geez, wish I wasn't so old...

I've wired up a few of these in the past - but am now landlocked and can't recall how I did it. Wiring over the water can be tricky, not to mention dangerous. I would suggest a qualified electrician in this case. It's going to be cheaper than replacing those motors when you burn them out trying various scenarios......

Old 12-05-06, 08:24 AM
I'm trying to find some info via the web for my particular model. Like a wiring schematic in PDF format that can be downloaded. Also some info for the "Furnas" brand manual rotary switches, but have had no luck for either.

Everything is wired and setup already, I just want to have clear cut instructions for setting up the motors/switches for either 120 or 240V so that I know they're right. I have until next spring really to worry about it as I'm not needing to use it now (way too cold).

Any help or link info would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-06, 08:51 AM
I find it surprising that you can't find a wiring diagram on or under the access plate of your motors. Typically they are there and pretty easy to follow. The Furnas switches can be a "booger" to wire up without instructions. If I were you - I would take one of two directions. Buy one new switch that comes with instructions - or find a dock builder who regularly installs them - and beg/borrow/steal a set of instructions from them.

Old 12-08-06, 07:32 AM
The Furnas switches came with the lift of which I bought used at 3 years old. I've gone to a local lift company and asked for diagrams for both switch and motor. Got home and low and behold their diagram was nothing like the setup previous owner had it sitting at for either switch nor motor. I then set one motor up according the sketch at 120 and it would only go in one direction, vice both. I called the lift office up and they then sent "another" set of diagrams for both 120/240. I asked why the disparity? and they said these motors are squirelly in that depending on the switch they're wired "differently". The diagrams were hand drawn sketches by one of their installers.

No there is not a diagram on the inside of the cover plates. That was the very first place I logically looked before going on the diagram track down oddysey. GE website does not list schematics that I've been able to find. In fact it doesn't even list the model of which I have (GE 1 hp Mod #5KC49PN216).

I have a Gem Remote that I will install in the spring, but for now I want to ensure I have (and the previous owner had) the correct setup. But verifying the base standard setup for both 120/240 has to date been difficult. I was hoping someone had in their possession, or had installed enough to give a confident answer. Othersie I will continue the hunt.

Old 12-08-06, 07:52 AM
Wink

This is why around here. All boat lifts are just small motors for air tanks and have to run only one way. For big boats or small

Old 12-29-06, 05:22 PM
With weather, various tide levels, and marine growth above and beyond fresh water problems, high profile lifts mounted on pilings are a must and the motors must run both ways. There's only a bizillion of them around and I can't believe there's not more knowledge about them out there. Guess the salt water folks haven't discovered this great site. I'll help spread the word.

Old 03-01-07, 05:53 PM
Getting about that time to dive into finishing this thing off now that the weather is turning favorably. Thought I'd refresh this post for any las tsecond thoughts.

Old 03-01-07, 11:00 PM
Wink

I have wired switches for winches.The wire lay out was in the switch. Got them from Grainger. This was to pull trailers with boats on them out of the water.
Guess the salt water folks haven't discovered this great site. I'll help spread the word.
Oh we have salt water people here . In fact I spent 6 years down in the caribbean sailing around down there as a live aboard. But we would only pull one time a year. To check everything, paint the bottom and put new zincs on.
the rest of the time we where in the water.

So you see Im a RAGMAN and you I take it are a STINK -POTTER

Old 03-20-07, 12:44 PM
I guess you could say that??? I think???? Around here we're called "go-fasts". Fisherman would say "nuisances"....LOL I've got a 32 foot offshore powerboat with twin engines totalling 850 horsepower which will give me roughly 83 top end.

But like a Vette, you don't run it wide open all the time. In fact we spend almost as much time as you "wind-catchers" do cleaning and maintaining.

Well I think I've got some good starting points to go at it (lift motor) using the trial and error approach. The local boatlift co. gave me a set of schematics sketched out by hand by one of their installers, so I'll start there.