Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

need more hole shot

01-04-07, 11:32 AM   #1  
need more hole shot

have 17 ft. 4 winns with i/o chevy 230 4 cyl with 2 barrel carb, and alpha one . kids getting a little older and need more initial pull. other than buying another boat with more power, is there a different manifold or cam that could be replaced for a relatively inexpensive fix???

Sponsored Links

01-04-07, 12:03 PM   #2  
you might try another prop dont really think modifing the engine will help your initial take off at all.

MO

01-04-07, 01:45 PM   #3  
Im like bejay. Id go for the prop first to dig you up out of the hole . You dont need the top end for speed. Or He** let them just come off the dock not in the water. That works good

FL

01-04-07, 09:09 PM   #4  
What type watersports are they in to? Before "old age" set in I was an avid barefooter, kneeboarder and slalom skiier, even attempted a jump or two....wake and "pull power" make a difference depending on what they are in to. Top of the head I agree, prop is first 'cause top speed for me barefooting was around 43 using an inboard dedicated to the purpose. Wouldn't mess w/ the engine as of yet. Need to focus on what the goal will be for them and the boat.

01-09-07, 03:49 PM   #5  
Prop, Prop, Prop..... will solve your problems to a great extent. Less pitch - possibly a 4 blade instead of 3 (spendier). If possible, go for a SS prop as aluminum flexes considerably under load, reducing hole shot also. Do a google on prop pitch for more details. Unfortunately, that 4 banger won't give you the hole shot nor top end of a bigger engine - no matter what you do to it.

Speed is overrated as mentioned above. Barefooting requires rarely more than 38mph (less you're a 200+ lb'r), competition skiers top out at 36mph on a slalom course (28 - 32 is normal for freeriding) - doubles requires around 22mph or less - kneeboards top out at 18ish - and wakeboards even a little less than that.

Last edited by thezster; 01-09-07 at 04:01 PM.

Search this Thread