Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starting problem Throttle?

01-11-07, 03:30 PM   #1  
Starting problem Throttle?

I have a 150 Johnson. When starting I have to move the throttle slightly as if it has a bad spot. It seemed to get a little worse at end of the season. It got to where i had to turn the key then move throttle until it started? Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links

01-11-07, 04:33 PM   #2  
Your throttle control box had a "detente interlock" that keeps the boat from starting in gear (has to be in neutral). As time goes by, that detent is worn to the point you describe. If you're extremely handy and a serious DIYer - you can take it apart and try to repair the bad spot/switch (good luck finding the small parts). I've found it's hardly worth the time/effort. Replacing the control box is the quickest and most efficient way to cure the problem. On the other hand - if you're able to find the sweet spot time after time - you can always live with it.

01-11-07, 05:56 PM   #3  
Thanks for your reply. Is it hard to peplace the control box. Can you tell me where i could get info on how to. Thanks

01-11-07, 08:34 PM   #4  
The throttle control box is a screw on/screw off unit. Relatively easy to disassemble to disconnect the various cables that head to the motor.

I'll be up front with you - I've had this issue with a couple of units - but I run an inboard that is set up a bit differently than an outboard (less electricals involved and the starter lockout is on the transmission while the detent is in the throttle box). Before you buy a new one - take the cover off the existing unit and check out the mechanism that is malfunctioning. It could be a simple electrical switch that could be replaced - though I'm betting on a worn detent.

Didn't mean to possibly steer you wrong - I automatically figured your solution would be the same as mine - and could be wrong.

Check the manufacturers web site/technical support group for more info.

Search this Thread