Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Block Sealer

TX

02-10-07, 12:22 PM   #1  
Block Sealer

I have a 1986 Conroy I/O w/OMC 3.0 engine. The head or block has a water leak. I would like to try to seal it with a sealer if possible. It is not the freeze plugs. I know some people frown at this, but it has worked some times for me. Also I would like to try it before I have to pull Heads. Does any one know a way to rig the water circulating system on an out drive motor to a closed circuit to circulate the sealer? Thanks for any help.

Robertk

Sponsored Links

02-12-07, 06:54 PM   #2  
If you are bent on trying it here goes. Take the prop off, get a barrel deep enough to cover the intake 3"-4" with mixture of water and sealer of the lower unit. You are going to have to keep and eye on the temp because the water mixture is not going to be cooled like in an auto. Where ever the water is discharged out of the engine is going to have to be diverted back to the barrel. The bigger the barrel and more mixture the better. Be sure to the run this past a boat dealer first. I have never done this or seen it done. Also talk to the company the makes the sealer of your choice and tell them what they think of what you are about to do. I don't know if you would be able to run the engine long enough to do any good. Make sure you know what you are doing before you make any decision. You could do more harm than good.

TX

02-13-07, 11:46 AM   #3  
Block Sealer

Thanks getRRR, I was thinking on the same lines. How ever I am thinking the system has to be pressurized to work. This rig is for the grand kids and they may come out 2 to 3 times a year, it runs good and if I could fix it cheap it would be gooder. I'm in the testing the waters right now and trying to get any kind of feed back or info that I can get. I appreciate your help and the help and suggestions of any other members. Thanks
Robert

Search this Thread