'97 Kawasaki 750 ZXI not getting fuel

Old 04-01-07, 03:01 PM
'97 Kawasaki 750 ZXI not getting fuel

I just brought my ski out and thought I'd get it ready to go. Battery all charged up, gas and oil loaded. Turned it on, and it just turns over. Cranks and cranks and cranks but nothing. Checked my plugs, brand new too, and they've got good spark. Gave it a shot of starter fluid and it ran for about 1 second ofcource.

Did some investigating and i'm not getting any fuel into my fuel filter (its transparent so i can tell). The fuel runs out the top of the tank, through the filter and into the carb. Yeah i've got the fuel turned on . What I don't understand is there is some gas in the fuel filter, why isn't that getting used?

So i got couple ideas to share with you guys. First idea is that its sucking air some where. This could be possible as all of my fuel lines are mearly zip tied on to their fittings (not by me). But shouldn't it be getting some kinda of fuel flow though? If I'm sucking air, how does a guy find out where?

Second idea is that i have a cracked diaphram. Could be possible, but there are two of them, so unless both are shot shouldn't I have atleast one cylinder getting fuel?

Any help would be great, i just got the jetski in feburary, and haven't messed with it till now. This is my first that i've owned, have used them much before. I'd like to take it back to the dealer but they're far away and their business hours conflict with my work hours, that and they're jerks. I can always take it to another dealer near where I work....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-07, 03:27 PM
It's been a while since I owned a 750 ZXI - but.. I believe you can take apart the fuel pump to check the diaphram. I also believe that the diaphram is a one piece that feeds both cylinders - but appears to be a double diaphram when looking at the fuel pump. Should be easy to check.

First - disconnect the fuel line from the pump and let it hang lower than the tank - fuel should flow if the filter is not blocked... reconnect it, then disconnect the fuel lines to each cylinder and turn the unit over - check for flow out of the pump... Should be able to isolate the problem that way.

Good luck (Gotta wonder if you bought my old one that I sold last year... :-) )

Old 04-04-07, 06:00 PM
yeah i think i'll try all that this weekend. taking that diaphragm apart doesn't appear to be too difficult, it just looks very time consuming. I'm also going to put hose clamps on all my fuel lines, i can believe kawasaki would sell a product using zip-ties for hose clamps. I have tried lowering my fuel lines though, but the lines run up out the top of the tank, you've got to create some sort of vacuum to get fuel out of the tank .

If you live in Iowa i'd say theres a good chance that i've got your ski .

Old 04-07-07, 10:44 AM
thezster, since I don't have a manual, do you know if the black knob on the left side kind of tucked under the exhaust manifold is the primer? Or what it is anyway? It only has about a quarter inch of pull to it which makes me think primer, but if it is, then its not working for me.

I ripped everything apart today, diaphragms are great, everything is clean. The only bad thing I found was the two gaskets that connect the carberator to the engine intake were slightly worn, i can't think they'd cause an issue. After reseating everything, I tried it out, and it did suck gas into the filter about half full and stopped, but the carb still never got fuel to burn. I think maybe my tank is not venting properly, and is stalling my fuel in the filter. If i unhook the line from my carb and try to shake gas out of the filter it won't come out, untill i unhook the line to the tank and then fuel comes out. Waiting for my battery to charge so i can try it again with the gas cap off...