Boat Insurance

Old 04-07-07, 11:17 AM
Boat Insurance

I'm interested in Boat insurance. i have a trailered boat 16' four winns that i would like to have a comfort factor in ownership and operation.
if the boat craps out and i need a tow,i run it out of gas,get grounded,etc.
I know there is boat insurance for such things and am looking for input on what to get. I'm not really excited with buying a "kicker". My boating will be 80% freshwater,lakes,ponds,rivers.
basically,with proper maintenace,i don't want to spend a day high and dry.
I know the boaters here will give me good advice.
Thanks
daswede

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 11:27 AM
Basic boat insurance is available from your auto insurance company in most instances. Coverage will vary depending on your needs, including towing insurance - which may or may not be available.

Since I don't know what you use - I can't make recommendations in that instance... I do know that Boat U.S./West Marine - offer towing/breakdown insurance also in addition to regular property insurance for your vessel.

Old 04-07-07, 11:30 AM
I insure with(and belong to) BOAT/US. They tend to be among the lowest cost and have great understanding of boaters' needs.

Old 04-07-07, 11:50 AM
Thanks zster and rockpro,

I'll check out some boat sites and my insurance company

Old 04-14-07, 08:47 PM
there are some great choices for boat insurance

a good place to begin investigating is this article that was originally published in heartland boat magazine http://www.unitedmarine.net/Confused.htm this has great information. Also you can get an instant quote on United marine Underwriters website. http://www.unitedmarine.net

Old 04-15-07, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the link

Old 04-15-07, 11:56 AM
I'd check around the area that you do boating/fishing most, it'll do you no good if your towing company doesn't operates at the lake that you boat, most of the towing company like Tow BoatUs which I'm a member and or Seatow are mainly operates in big navigatable water and and or the Great lakes, other like Vesel Assist towing is on small lakes and rivers, if there are two or more towing companies around your boating place, I'd pick the one that has a homeport close to or at your dock/ramp and not an hour away from you, their rate and time are base on the time they leave their dock and the time they returned to their dock.

You can also get your boat insurance thru your Auto insurance provider, they do have towing includes but only cover a small amount of towing coverage, if you only boat on small lake, give your Auto insurance provider a call.

Old 04-15-07, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your advice. I have been checking on Insurance,and the points you made. I'm weighing the possibility of getting a gas,or electric "kicker" motor.

Old 04-16-07, 09:14 AM
thanks for the link I'm going to pass it along to my dad....he is a big boat guy!

Old 04-16-07, 03:57 PM
Swede: I wish I had thought to say that... on most lakes, there is no formal towing operation. You're at the mercy of other boaters and/or the local lake patrol.... A small kicker motor is cheap insurance to get you back to the marina - and, if you're a fisherman - you'll use it to maneuver in those quiet little backwaters - and for really slow trolling....

Old 04-16-07, 04:17 PM
Wink

Could get a sail boat. then you know you will get back home .(some time)

Old 04-16-07, 04:40 PM
Talking

If it doesn't stop raining here soon i will need a ark.

Old 04-17-07, 12:50 PM
check out boatus. They have an emergency assistance thing that comes with memembership.

I've had to get a tow before. It's a bummer.