Mercruiser 4.3L starter and trim problems

Old 04-29-07, 09:19 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Mercruiser 4.3L starter and trim problems

I have a 1995 4.3L I/O that has pushed out a freeze plug and flooded the bilge last year. I was upset and just let it set. Now I am trying to work on it and the motor will not start, solenoid just clicks. Could the starter be locked up because of the excessive water in the bilge last year? I only had water in there for a short time while limping to the boat ramp then let it drain for a long time till empty. Also trim up buttom no longer works on shifter but trailering button works, but works very slowly???

Old 04-30-07, 04:45 AM
T
It's possible your starter got wet, but I doubt it... an engine doesn't hold enough internal water to raise your bilge that much if you blow a freeze plug.

Honestly - your clicking noise and slow operation of your trim sounds more like a weak battery than anything else at this point.... Always check the simple stuff first.... then move on the tough stuff....

Old 04-30-07, 07:38 PM
G
Thanks

Thank you for the info, I took off the starter and it was locked up, ordered new one. I'm still not sure about the trim I heard that their is a trim limit switch that can be bypassed and your trim up button will work again, have you heard of this? Thanks, Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: