outboard lower unit help?

Old 05-06-07, 11:24 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outboard lower unit help?

I broke off the 'tailfin ?' on my Evinrude 200hp outboard motor and other than prop damage runs fine.The question I have is there a way to replace,fix or reweld mine without replacing the entire lower unit which new is almost 2K and used about $600? If anyone can help I can get out of doghouse and go to the lake again!

Old 05-06-07, 01:02 PM
R
Thumbs up It can be fixed!

This is a common occurance on outboards and I/O units. Fortunately there are a couple different ways of fixing this problem as opposed to replacing the whole lower unit. The best way to fix it is to remove the lower unit, remove the gears and seals, being sure to keep the spacers and shims in the correct order and in a clean place. The seals will have to be replaced. Take the housing and the part that broke off to a GOOD welding shop that does aluminum welding on a regular basis, and have them weld it back together, They will most likely have to grind off the rough edges and create a pocket on each side for the weld to fill. Since you have a 200 hp engine, this is the repair that I would recommend. You might want to consult a service manual to reassemble the lower gear assembly.
The other way of fixing that (on outboards less that 15 horsepower) is to grind out a groove where the break is on both sides, and glue the two pieces together using a high quality reinforced epoxy like JB Weld. Several layers would have to be applied and sanded to achieve a strong bond. I worked at a marina as a mechanic for a year and I have repaired several small outboard skegs this way, as well as props.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-07, 04:08 PM
D
outboard help

Thanks for info.The only thing is the other piece is in the lake.But I will start looking for an aluminium welder. Thanks again DAN

Old 05-06-07, 05:33 PM
Hey, dannno - A good welding shop ought to have some flat aluminum stock to build-up the missing peices, whether it be the skeg (at the very bottom of the lower unit, below the prop), or the anti-cavitation plate (above the prop, still on the lower unit). If you've got prop damage to go along with it, it sounds like it's the skeg - yep, it IS pretty common. Again, a shop should be able to build it back up. If you're good with grinders and files, you could shape it yourself after the repair is done. Good luck; let us know how it goes. - Chris

Old 05-07-07, 05:04 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are also repair pieces available the epoxy over the remaining stub - available from major marine suppliers such as West Marine..... it is essentially a hollow fin that epoxies over what's left.... I'm aware of them... but can't vouch for them as I've never used one....

Old 05-07-07, 06:20 PM
D
lets do just not in the rocks to shallow!!!

Old 05-07-07, 06:27 PM
W
They also make a stainless sleeve that goes over the skeg. Supposed to give a little better protection against breakoffs and repairs very minor breaks. My 200 has the bottom of the skeg broke. Oyster reefs are hell on skegs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: