Boat Rebuild Help

Old 05-07-07, 05:54 AM
Boat Rebuild Help

I am currently looking into buying a 1985 Astroglass v166 w/90hp Johnson.

I wanting to know the price to repair a couple of things in order to make an offer on the boat.

1. The floor as a weak spot behind the dash, looks like I will need to replace the whole floor from the seats to the front storage.

2. The motor has a slip, the rpms will race up but once you drop the throtle back down and then up again it will engage. What would be the cost to rebuild the motor.

3. I was also told that the lower unit has a small leak. Needing the price to reseal.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-07, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately, you're not going to find the answers you want here. Without seeing it and being able to ascertain the extent of the damages, even a ballpark estimate is impossible. You're going to have to have it checked out by a good mechanic to find out what the problem/cure is for your issues.

My experience is... the flooring is a potential DIY job for an experienced handyman - though, when you get the floor out, then you discover whether or not you have stringer damage....

The slippage could be as simple as the hub on the prop. Some props (usually the smaller ones) have a rubber shock absorber built into them - if it breaks - the prop stop spinning at high speed (high load) but will re-engage if the rpm's are dropped - for a while. This can be a $50 repair process - or it could be the transmission on the outboard - which could be a $1000 repair.

If the transmission is worked on - the bottom unit seals will be replaced at that time.

Hope the price of that boat is really cheap (free) - cause you could sink quite a few bucks into it......

Old 05-09-07, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the help Z,

Yeah he was asking 3000 for the boat. But looks like I will have to sink another 2000 into it. For 5 I could get a newer boat with less problems.

Again thanks for the help.

Old 05-09-07, 06:31 PM
1985 Astro with issues... for $3K.... he's smokin something illegal......