Johnson 9.9 Lower unit seized?

Old 05-15-07, 04:08 PM
Unhappy Johnson 9.9 Lower unit seized?

First of all, this is the first boat/motor I have owned, so I'm new to this.

I pulled out my outboard from the basement a few days ago to make sure all is ready for the spring. I got her going with a half dozen pulls and was making a funny noise, maybe like a metal to metal sound - very faint. Don't ask me why, like I said I'm new to this, but I put it into forward and the motor just died. I tried to put it back into neutral, but it wouldn't budge, couldn't pull the ripcord either. Prop doesn't turn at all either.

I talked to a buddy at work and he told me to check the lower unit plugs/oil. I checked it and saw that the bottom plug was not even there. The washer/gasket was still in position, but the screw was gone. I took the top screw out(slot head) and it fits the bottom hole, so I'm sure it's the bottom plug that's missing. There is another screw beside the empty hole however, but I don't know what it's for, it has a long(.5") smooth end to it(philips head).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do. I have gotten a new plug(with magnetic tip) and some advice from a local marina. Fill the lower unit back up with oil, put the new plug back in and hope for the best. That doesn't sound to encouraging.

Is my outboard done for?

Thanks,

Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-07, 06:58 PM
not too good

if you can gently pry the prop back and forth it should come free if nothing happens you are going to have to get the lower unit rebuilt but make sure you have good oil pumped into the lower hole with the top hole open so it can breath

Old 05-17-07, 12:47 PM
Thanks Benjamz,

Well I emptied the oil that I put in there 2 days ago and was it ever dirty. There was dirt and some fine metal filings as well. When I put that oil in a couple days ago, I wasn't able to push it enough to get it to come out the top, like maybe it was blocked. I refilled it again today and this time I was able to push the oil in until it came out the top hole. I still can't turn the prop though. Maybe I will give it a couple more days and flush it again and see what happens.

This is drastically cutting into my fishing time. Especially with this weekend being a long weekend.

Jay

Old 05-18-07, 03:23 PM
Well, I finally got some results today.

I was trying to pry the prop back and forth without putting too much force into it and nothing was giving. I manually gave the flywheel a good crank and viola, it came free. The prop spins with ease now and I was also able to put the motor back into neutral.

Before I try to start it I'm going to flush the gear oil one more time to see if I can get any more dirt or filings outta there.

I still have hope.

Jay

Old 05-19-07, 04:06 PM
I am a happy camper today.

I changed the oil one last time today. The old stuff was still very dirty.

I gave it 3 pulls and she roared to life. I had the water connector on the motor so i let it run at least 5 minutes in the driveway.

All seems to be good for now. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm going fishing on Monday now.

Jay