Motor Problems

Old 05-19-07, 05:46 PM
Motor Problems

At the end of last summer, I had my boat out on the lake and it stopped going forward but it went into reverse. One of the prop blades had broken, however, I replaced it. It still wont go forward, but will go in reverse. Its a Sea Ray Seville with a inboard/outboard. I checked everything in the foot of the motor but all the bearings and rods looked good. Im at a loss for explanations.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-07, 06:48 AM
your prop won't affect whether or not it will change directions... Check your linkage to the transmission - make sure it's actually shifting into forward/neutral/reverse.

Old 05-22-07, 06:00 PM
A Topic Moderator
Thumbs down Motor Problems???

The boat does not have problems. The motor does not have problems either. The boat goes and the motor runs. New prop installed.

The transmission however does have a problem. And I agree with thezster, the linkage is most often cause for shifting problems.

Linkage must be set exactly. A little slippage, cable stretch or cable out of adjustment and the gear box will not slip into drive.

Could be a problem in the lower end of the prop shaft. There is or could be a shaft rod out of adjustment also. May be best to have a boat professional determine the cause. Likely to be a simple adjustment if your handy with linkages, cables, shifters and prop shaft lower end linkages.

Removing a prop shaft can be difficult for a non professional or not having the proper tools and a service manual, etc.

Search this Thread