97 SeaDoo GTX with Oil Leak

Old 05-29-07, 12:58 PM
97 SeaDoo GTX with Oil Leak

I have a 97 SeaDoo GTX with a oil leak. We have changed out all the tubes and clamps and checked the tank and the leak is not coming from any of those areas. Afterwards we put approximately 1/2 gal oil in the tank, started it up for a few seconds (seemed to be fine) and let it sit for about 30 minutes and in that short amount of time the oil was all leaked out again. Does anyone have any idea where it may be coming from?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-07, 01:03 PM
A lot of those oil tanks on older Sea Doos have had leaks in the oil tank itself at the joint between the top part of the tank and the bottom. If you didn't fill it up too high, that might be the culprit. Another area that is prone to a leak is the filler neck, but usually only if the tank is overfilled. My GTX had that prob, I just don't fill the tank to the very top anymore.

If it is not leaking while sitting (not running), check the connection at the carb/oil pump.

Old 05-31-07, 06:11 AM
Thanks. We did not have the tank filled up to the split where it is put together so I don't think that is where it was leaking. The 1/2 gallon of oil leaked when it was not running. We will try checking the carb/oil pump connection next. It really just seems as though it is coming out somewhere at a lower point than the oil tank.

Old 05-31-07, 12:52 PM
Could it have leaked out through the filler neck while you were filling it?

Old 06-01-07, 05:27 AM
I don't believe so as there is no oil on the top part of the tank but under the tank and the hull is full.

Old 06-01-07, 06:30 AM
Well, let's look at this logically. It could only be leaking from the tank, the lines or the carb. You can use process of elimination. You replaced the lines, so it is not likely that. That leaves oil leaking from the oil pump/carbs, or the tank. You could drain the tank/lines and pressure test the system somehow. Or you could pull the tank (relatively easy to do) and drain it. Fill it with water and check for leaks.

I don't think I can post a link here, but if you PM me, I can direct you to a specific Sea Doo website-message board that is a wealth of info. I will post this over there too, maybe we can get some info.