1979 Johnson wont start. Help !!

Old 06-07-07, 07:34 PM
1979 Johnson wont start. Help !!

I'm having problems with a1979 johnson 70.I'm looking for an answer.
My problem is...I recently replaced the ignition switch.an i can't get the motor to spin over. So i replaced the solenoid switch. I am getting power to the switch and i get power to both little terminals when i turn to start. I have the neutral safety switch jumped out for ease in testing and all wire are in the right place per the manual. My question is what else can it be. The engine appears to be in Neutral also. I don't want to pull any more hair as it getting thin. Any help would appreciated.

Last edited by mattison; 06-07-07 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 11:18 AM
voltage regulator, alternator. somewhere you have a missing link in your ignition switch wiring.

Old 06-08-07, 12:13 PM
will it spin applying power directly to the starter?

Old 06-08-07, 04:49 PM
Yes, I can make it spin by connecting directlly to starter.

Old 06-08-07, 04:52 PM
I think those come after the solenoid switch .I haven't got the engine to start.

Old 06-12-07, 07:17 PM
1979 wont , start

PROBLEM SOLVED.....Thanks to those who responded. I'll try to explain,Even though I had the ground hooked to the block ,i didn't have a ground at the point that my ground for the solenoid hooked up . The manual shows it hooked at this point and the original solenoid was hooked here also .It was hooked at the bottom bolt that holds clamp that hold the solenoid. I just moved it to the top bolt and now i have starter function with the ignition switch. Next I put it in a tank and see if it runs.This problem has existed since it was 3 months old,an has been to several repair shops including the dealer .they gave up .

Old 06-12-07, 08:41 PM
congrats emerson, I meant to pull the cover on my 77 Merc to see what was going on but got busy on other stuff. Amazing how it is the simple things some times.