1997 Seadoo xp cutting out (Merged Posts)

Old 06-18-07, 07:08 PM
1997 Seadoo xp cutting out (Merged Posts)

I have this 1997 seadoo xp and the jetski runs great with no problems. Just recently I had it out on the water and the first few minutes of being out, it shut down completely, just cut off. Then I walked it around for a little while and it ran strong for almost 2 hours, when it started doing it again, and I had to get towed cuz it wouldt start. The battery terminals are semi melted cuz im guessing it was over charging?..Im also wondering if it could be the key, and the connection to the receiever on the ski, I just cleaned it tonight and it started and ran fine, if any of you have any suggedstions of what you might think may seem to be the issue, I would appreciate all responses..thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 04:18 PM
sputtering

I just took out my 1997 seadoo xp and it started fine and when I hit it, i wasnt getting full power and it was sputtering..I mixed the oil and gas 50:1, could the quality of the oil play a key factor?...also if my key is eroded and such could that cause the engine to cut off?..im a rookie so any advise at all will be appreciated

Old 06-21-07, 04:19 AM
"just took out"?? I'm assuming that means it's been sitting in storage all winter. If so, did you put in any gas stabilizer when you put it away? Did you winterize the engine with a oil fogging in the cylinders/etc.?

Untreated gasoline will deteriorate over the winter - and small parts like needle valves/float valves/etc., will tend to get stuck in place when stored untreated also.... As I always try to do the simple/easy/inexpensive methods first - I would try draining the gas tank, refilling with fresh go juice - and then running the engine for a while.

If you had fresh gas, then I would start looking at the carburation - specifically the high speed operation of the unit.

Old 06-21-07, 04:22 AM
As mentioned in your other post - the carburation seems to be off.....

Also, the battery terminal connections will melt if you try to start the engine for more than 30 seconds or so at a time.... the voltage surge creates a lot of heat and can easily melt the wiring insulation.