Malfunction with 1973 Bayliner Ski Boat.......

Old 06-20-07, 06:40 AM
Question Malfunction with 1973 Bayliner Ski Boat.......

I own a 1973 Gastron Bayliner 17' ski boat with a 4 cylinder 174 cc ? inboard\outboard Volvo engine. The boat has hardly been used for its age and always stored inside a boat house in the summer and a heated shop during the winter months. Only once Did i HAVE A FREEZE PLUG BLOW OUT ON ME WHEN i TRIED TO DO SOME WINTER FISHING and the water inside the water jackets froze.
The problem I have is with the hydrolic lift on the outdrive, when I get into the shallow areas and want to lift the prop out of the water a little bit, I press the button on the dash and it should raise up out of the water ,but instead it just makes a motor sound and than stops and the prop stays in the down position. It seems as though the lift is jamed or tweaked so that it wont move up or down , but the motor drive to the lift is working.
Question Is this an expensive repair and can I do it my self and is there a boat motor repair manual on some website that will alow me to download for my private use. I would love to get this fixed so I can take my visiting 9 yr old granddaughter out fishing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 03:38 AM
Question If this thread was difficult, because I got 0 replies......

People

If this thread was difficult, because I got 0 replies, than God help us all.
Never mind I couldnt wait for you people to respond, so I removed the power lift and found a used one at the marine store. It was a bit pricey but a man has got to do what a man has got to do, am I right????
Thanks anyway people It was a pleasure as always, lol.

Teque

Old 06-22-07, 04:41 AM
as mentioned in another thread...

I've found lots of manuals for older engines at themotorbookstore.com

The prices seem reasonable and the selection pretty good. Sorry we couldn't help with your specific problem.... but sometimes we all get stumped.....