MERCURY OUTBOARD SERVICE MANUAL 1964-1977 50hp

Old 06-21-07, 04:20 PM
MERCURY OUTBOARD SERVICE MANUAL 1964-1977 50hp

I've got a Mercury 50 hp 2 cycle 4 spark plug 1974 model. It's hard to start, but it does eventually start. Then when I go forward it goes dead. Even when it does warm up, it goes down the river just fine, but if I ever stop the motor and fish for a little while or when I try to drive it up on the trailer and give it just a little gas 'it goes dead'. Is there trash in the carb?? I don't know where the carb. is located. Should I just carry the old motor to a mechanic and pay out the nose? Or is this something I could fix?
Kyle

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-07, 05:24 PM
if you do a google you'll find a few places that sell manuals for this old beast.... at a reasonable price of around $25 - $30. I don't know if this link will be allowed - might be construed as advertising - but I found your manual at themotorbookstore.com

Your issue does sound like fuel system problems.... but, if I'm not mistaken, this model has multiple carbs - and you have to be able to set and sync them properly. ( I always hated outboards - and this is one reason).... Good luck!!