Pull Start Mechanism for older Evinrude

Old 06-24-07, 05:38 PM
Pull Start Mechanism for older Evinrude

I was given an older moder Evinrude. It doesn't have the pull start mechanism installed on the flywheel. It takes 3 bolts to attach it(that much I figured out). Does anyone know where to look for older parts like the one I need. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-07, 06:33 AM
The "mechanism" will vary depending on the horsepower of your engine. Larger envinrude have nothing more than a plate that bolts to the top of the flywheel. It is nothing more than a "backup" system for the electric starter - consisting of a place to wind up a pull rope in an emergency. There is nothing truly special about the attachment - and you should be able to find one in an old boat shop that has discards laying around (You know the type I'm talking about).

Smaller HP motors have a pull starter assembly that bolts to the engine housing - not the flywheel - and has the spring loaded pull rope and handle. This type will be much more specific to your engine... and might require some serious hunting.....

Old 06-25-07, 07:01 AM
evinrude pull start

the engine is a 15 horse. I'm not sure of the year. It has to be 20 years or older. It has a 3 bolt pattern on top of the flywheel in a triangle shape which is why I assumed it bolted to the flywheel. I used a rope on the flywheel to pull start it, but it's only good for about 1 wrap.

Old 06-25-07, 07:05 AM
Okay... gotcha.... My memory wasn't serving me properly...... The flywheel has a groove for the emergency rope start..... right? Those 3 holes are for attaching a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel..... Not for a pull starter.

Old 06-27-07, 05:53 AM
15 horse evinrude

Correct. I just found out the 3 holes are for the puller, not the pull starter as I thought. Apparently the pull start mechanism sits somewhere else. Exactly where I am uncertain.

Old 06-27-07, 12:47 PM
Ah - 15hp.. I believe the pull start mechanism mounts vertically on the side of the engine. When you pull on the rope, the teeth of the starter mechanism rise and engage the teeth on the flywheel..... You need to find the starter assembly - and go from there.

Old 06-27-07, 02:35 PM
You should be able to do a Google to find sites that specialize in older marine parts... as well as E-bay, which often has obscure parts for older engines also... Good Luck.

Search this Thread