Warning Horn?

Old 07-02-07, 07:50 PM
Warning Horn?

alright, I was out working on my stuff when as usual a neighbor had a question.
Mercury 90ECPTO serial no OT2T7440 (hope that is right, it was dark). This thing sat up a while, drained tank, emptied fuel bowls, fresh fuel. It started right up on my muffs. Long story short there is a horn that sounds when you turn the key and remains when the engine is running. My boat is old and as such my manual (Seloc) only goes to 1989 and his is a 2001 I think. My thinking is it's either over temp (makes no sense when it isn't running?), low oil (visually ok but oil screen in there?), low voltage (doubt it since I pulled my battery and put in there to give it a whirl) or a bad sensor somewhere.
He said it didn't do this before and is not normal. The question now is: what is the horn for?
When you turn the key on the horn 'horns' and when the engine runs the horn 'horns'.
He still needs some carb/fuel work but I want to make sure this horn isn't warning him to STOP! running.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 04:18 AM
horn stays on

I don't know if this will help but I had the same problemwith a Merc 454 that I rebuilt. When outting it back together I put the wirers to the thermostat back on wrong. I'd start it up and the horn would stay on. After asking around I was told to take the 2 wirers going to the thermostatand switch them. That corrected the problem.

Old 10-19-07, 09:26 AM
The boat has "voltage pots" that are adjustable to avoid false warnings.... the point is... find the pots - and connect/disconnect them until you discover the one that is carrying current. From there, you should be able to determine which one is sounding the alarm.... they should be labeled - and, if not, you should be able to track the wiring to the cuprit sensor...

Old 10-19-07, 02:17 PM
thanks for the thoughts guys, he took it to a shop and i haven't seen it since. ( I never did hear what the outcome was/is but if I do I will post it )......btw there zster....why do you wait until 0900 (great tag line)