Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

replacing a water pump on mercury 1960's 2 stroke

MA

07-28-07, 10:27 AM   #1  
replacing a water pump on mercury 1960's 2 stroke

looking for help with replacing a water pump on 1960's mercury 2 stroke.novice so need to be specific like whrer is it located??

Sponsored Links

07-28-07, 03:13 PM   #2  
Tell me the horse power, or better yet the model number, and I'll show you a diagram and part numbers.

MA

07-28-07, 03:47 PM   #3  
water pump

Posted By: Savannah Dan Tell me the horse power, or better yet the model number, and I'll show you a diagram and part numbers.
serial #1413300 6 horse 2 stroke
thanks,sampson

A Topic Moderator

08-01-07, 04:48 AM   #4  
Water pump located at the bottom of the prop housing. Just above the prop gearbox. You'll have to remove the rubber access plug midway up the prop housing. Then loosen the clamp that holds the shifter rods together.

Then remove the screws that hold the gear box to the prop shaft and pull the gear box from the prop shaft housing. (Separate the gearbox from the prop shaft housing). Inside the gearbox assembly is the pump, which has the pumps impeller.

Be aware, separating the gearbox from the prop shaft may be difficult and may require special tools. Propeller may need to be removed also. Variations to the above apply based on the Mfg's.

Best to have a service manual of any type then non at all. Replace all gaskets and refill gearbox with the correct type of gearbox lube.

Search this Thread