Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat Wiring

FL

08-26-07, 08:07 PM   #1  
Boat Wiring

Bought a 1978 cruiser for my husband for birthday. needs some updating. Have question on wiring. Would like to install breaker panel for lights/bilge/radio etc. Not sure exactly how to wire it up. I know wire from equipment to breaker panel and to battery. One wire from panel to battery or mulitple wires is my main confusion. -- any special books on diy can buy or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

08-27-07, 04:56 AM   #2  
I would assume you are talking about wiring the 12 volt system.

Normally with twelve volts you would run the negative wire to the area(s) where the equipment is located.
The positive then connects to the individual breaker and is run to the specific device.
You can then connect all the negative wires from different pieces of equipment to the single negative that is in the area.
Make sure that you size the negative large enough to carry the current from all the devices and make sure the breaker matches the load of the equipment you are protecting.

There are many things to watch out for when doing any kind of wiring and you need to do a lot of research if you are unsure of what to do .
I know of no one book that will tell you how to wire a boat but the rules would be similar to any automotive wiring.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread