Painting a boat ???

Old 10-15-07, 05:01 PM
Painting a boat ???

I have an older boat (1986) fiberglass with a blue stripe on the side. I would like to paint it(the blue). What type of paint do I use. The boat is in salt water

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 07:35 PM
need help

just painted my boat and got and awesome job now want to protect the job any advice thanks my email is [removed by RJ].

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 04-15-10 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Removed email address to protect you from spammers
Old 04-15-10, 03:54 AM
Welcome to the forums.

You can add a clear coat to protect the finish, but good ol' wax will work as well as it does on your car.

Old 04-15-10, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only painted 1 fiberglass boat [for a neighbor] and he bought regular automotive paint for it - it seemed to hold up fine. You might want to check with your local marine/boat store and see what they have to offer.

Old 04-15-10, 05:58 PM
It depends on what kind of paint you used. Urithanes will not hold up if left in the water for more than a day, epoxy will be fine for a couple days, and lacqueres will hold up longer.

I painted the bottom of one of my boats this winter and used interlux epoxy with teflon in it, I was told not to leave it in for more than a day or two or it will bubble and peel.

Like Rick said good clear coat will help it from wearing on the trailer or lift bunks, and a coat of good wax will help.

Old 05-14-10, 03:50 PM
I have an older boat (1986) fiberglass with a blue stripe on the side. I would like to paint it(the blue). What type of paint do I use. The boat is in salt water
If you are painting only the stripe, above the waterline, and it does not encounter much abrasive contact with a trailer or such, then a one part Polyerethane (Interlux or similar brands) or similar will give you very good results. I got 20+ years of service out of the last boot stripe repainting I did with Interlux.

If it will be below the waterline or subjected to much abuse, then a two-part Polyerethane will be much more durable. But is also more difficult to apply.

Old 05-14-10, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by samuari View Post
It depends on what kind of paint you used. Urithanes will not hold up if left in the water for more than a day, epoxy will be fine for a couple days, and lacqueres will hold up longer.

I painted the bottom of one of my boats this winter and used interlux epoxy with teflon in it, I was told not to leave it in for more than a day or two or it will bubble and peel.

Like Rick said good clear coat will help it from wearing on the trailer or lift bunks, and a coat of good wax will help.
I repainted my sailboat waterline stripe(frequently wetted), 5" high, with Interlux Polyurethane, 1 part, and it was at least 2 years in salt water and 3 in fresh water (every day) before it needed to be repainted.