Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Motor Type

CA

10-20-07, 10:53 AM   #1  
Motor Type

Hello fellow boaters. I'm new at boating. I bought a 1973
23ft reinell with two volvo penta 4cylinder engines. My friend needed cash and sold the boat to me for $400. The boat is in seaworthy shape. One engine runs great, the other is in need of a rebuild. I did not see many threads on this site so I need to ask,,, 1. Can somebody please tell me what type of engines I have? Is it called "sterndrive"?, inboard/outboard? or just inboard? I'm trying to find a repair manuel, but when they ask what type of engine, I don't know what to answer. It has the two engines in the rear of the boat. I start the engines inside the cabin at the middle of the boat. I sleep (if I choose to) inside the front of the boat. I've learned that boats are a combination of equipment. Kinda like a Friekenstien monster. I have a "Reinell" boat with a "Volvo-Penta" engine with a
"Chrysler/Marine" outboard. I think I've read through the net that these engines are actually 1968? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links

10-21-07, 09:37 AM   #2  
The term for your propulsion is either stern drive
or inboard / outboard. Volvo Penta manufactured the
engine and drive unit. I am not sure why the early ones
had the Chrysler decal on them but the parts are
available from a volvo dealer and some aftermarket
parts are still produced too. With a little more info
we may be able to get your model. Probably a 130/250.
There are some time sensitive rubber parts at the back of the
boat you should look at or replace before launching her.
The Universal joint bellows hoses protect the U joints
and support bearing from the sea. If aged or torn
they can allow water to enter the boat.
Congratulations on your purchase. scott

CA

10-21-07, 05:08 PM   #3  
Thanks for responding Scott. So how do I know for sure what my propulsion is called? Can you define stern drive and Inboard/outboard for me. The engines are located at the rear section of the boat under a large wooden bench type seat/couch. They look like two small 4 cylinder car gasoline engines. I don't use any type of two cycle oil and the engines do not look like any small boat outboard engines that I usually see on bass boats. It's the "inboard/outboard" name that confuses me. When I was young, I use to go fishing at a small lake with a friend who used to rent a small boat at the dock and he would bring his gas tank and a 9hp outboard Mercury motor. He would attach it to the rear of the boat and pull the string like a lawnmower and off we go. I'm sure that's what you call an "outboard" motor, right? Now I don't know if a 23ft boat is considered a large boat. But this boat sure seems large to me. I have taken it out 4 times now and have had a good time. 3 times to the nearby lake and once out on the ocean. Me and friends all caught sand sharks! It was a great time! Oh by the way, 270 is stamped on the outboards. My reserch tells me I have twin Volvo-Penta AQ-270? I hope. I don't know if that means engines or outboards.

CA

10-21-07, 05:19 PM   #4  
Oh also I tried to put on pictures but I can't add any attachments for some reason. I am curious about your comment on the "rubbers" that I should get. Is this really important? Maybe you could give me more info so I could research this and buy these items before it's too late. I do have a lot of work to do on this boat. I have to try to fix the hydrolics that lift the outboards up, because those don't work. I have to lift them by hand and tie them up when I tow her. Then there are two types of small flat planes on the back of the boat that also don't work. (I think the're used to balance the boat on the water while she's running to keep her level and flat) Is that right? What do you call these two hydrolic items?

10-21-07, 09:00 PM   #5  
Stern drive and inboard/ outboard are two terms that mean the same thing. Inboard mounted engine with stern drive.
The engine model is most likely an AQ 130 with the 270
model stern drive. It has an electo mechanical lift.
You will find the motor mounted on a shaft at the back of the
inside of the boat. The Trim Tabs are haydraulic and
the pump will be mounted on the transom inside too.

If this boat has not been properly serviced it would be crucial
for you to at least inspect the universal bellows hoses, water
hoses and drive fluids. As always an inspection of engine
fluids and hoses and belts should be done proir to every trip.

An older boat is a wonderful hobby. With a little
knowledge you can do most of the service required.

We are here to help you do that. Scott

CA

10-21-07, 09:24 PM   #6  
Thanks again Scott

Search this Thread