Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Winterizing an Outboard

11-14-07, 01:02 PM   #1  
Winterizing an Outboard

Hi I have a 1989 Mercury 40 HP outboard (1st year I have ever had a boat). In Sept. I noticed a large oil leak from the Prop area and subsequently had the seals and O ring replaced . When I took the boat out of the water, at the end of the season , Oct 14th, I noticed a small gear lube oil leak again; about 1 ounce I'd guess.

Question; should I drain the lower unit again before freeze up, to make sure there is no water in there? Secondly, is that amount of seepage normal, or should I again replace the seals, O ring?

Many thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links

11-14-07, 01:55 PM   #2  
Draining the lower unit and refilling is a LOT cheaper than cracking the lower unit due to a freeze-up. It's a good habit to always drain and refill the lower unit the last time it comes out of the water for the season.

Why replace the seals and o-rings again? It didn't seem to help the first time. I wonder if the shaft is slightly worn under the seal lips and that is why the repair is leaking.

Search this Thread