Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Outboard lower unit

11-24-07, 05:55 AM   #1  
Outboard lower unit

I am unable to remove the bottom screw on the lower unit of a 50hp Johnson outboard. If I remove the top screw for the winter, will this allow for expansion (if any water is present and freezes) and keep the lower unit from cracking?

Is there a way to change the lower unit grease through the top screw?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

TN

11-24-07, 11:20 AM   #2  
Posted By: midway I am unable to remove the bottom screw on the lower unit of a 50hp Johnson outboard. If I remove the top screw for the winter, will this allow for expansion (if any water is present and freezes) and keep the lower unit from cracking?

Is there a way to change the lower unit grease through the top screw?

Thanks.
The only way would be to flip the engine upside down.

I would try heating it up a bit and see if that helps. if you have a torch or mini torch

12-19-07, 07:00 AM   #3  
Get a large screwdriver, put it in the drain screw slot and whack the end of the screwdriver REAL hard. It will probably come loose. If not the heat will work as mentioned above.

I always put new drain screws in when I pull them out. Have never had a problem getting them out since I started doing this. I get them in bulk (about 6 at a time) from BoatFix at a reasonable price, well worth the couple of dollars when you compare it to the aggravation of a stuck screw.

Search this Thread