marine plywood prep

Old 11-30-07, 06:05 AM
marine plywood prep

i will be putting new marine plywood decking on my bassboat soon. is it better to prime and paint the wood or leave it raw before i carpet it.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 04:15 PM
First point - do you really need to spend the extra $$ on marine grade for this application? The difference between marine grade and exterior grade is the implied absence of possible "voids" in between the sandwiched layers - important for hulls, but not so much for the decking. Your choice..

As for the prep - I have had great success with such applications when I put a coating of fiberglass resin with only about 1/4th the recommended catalyst mixed in. It goes on like paint, but takes seemingly forever to dry - this allows the polyester resin to saturate the wood more than simply coat it before it cures/hardens - providing what I believe is a superior decking in the naturally wet environment.. Make sure you coat the edges of the wood liberally with this or some other sort of sealer before attaching it to the boat as this is the first area to become saturated/rotten typically.