dewinterizing a boat

Old 12-28-07, 09:06 AM
dewinterizing a boat

What is the process of de-winterizing an inboard. This is a 99 Sea-Ray with an inboard v8. I have instructions on winterizing but, I need to know what to do when de-winterizing. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 12:23 PM
If you properly winterized the unit - then all you need do is re-install the block drain plugs (if you took them out and left them out) - spark plugs (same story as drain plugs) - and fire her up. If she ran well when you stored her - and you winterized properly - she should start reasonably quickly - and run smoothly after a few minutes of blowing smoke out the exhaust (from the oil coatings in the cylinders that you should have fogged). I like to run the tank close to empty before refilling it at the start of each season to get rid of the "stabilized gas" that you had when you stored it.

Make sure your battery is well charged before reinstalling it in the boat also........

Once running - monitor the engine closely for a while to make sure you have not developed any water or gas leaks over the winter (preferably on the trailer/backed into the water in case there is an issue).

Hang close to the dock/ramp for the first 10 minutes in case there are issues that require you head back to the trailer...

Last, but far from least, make sure you put the drain plug back in the bottom of the boat!! That sinking feeling you get when you forget that little item is more than a pit in your stomach!!