help me and my stern drive

Old 01-24-08, 07:07 AM
help me and my stern drive

My first boat, a 96 starcraft, 3 liter 4 with an alpha 1 unit. The engine is in good shape from what I can tell. I drained the lower unit fluid the other day. It was not the right color, milky brown in color. I am a do it yourself type of guy. Is there any way I can figure out where the leaky seal is before I take apart the lower unit? And if that is not possible, is a kit available that has all the seals in one package deal? Or do I have to order them indiviually. Additionally, this is my first time dealing with a lower unit, but I am mechanically inclined, somewhat. I have the manual for the unit. I would like to repair it myself. What do you think???

Carlos

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 08:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Start with the seal behind the prop. it is the most probable. you can access by pulling the prop.and it is right behind it in the housing, check to see if there is fish line wrapped around the shaft in the vicinity of the seal, that is often the reason for failure and can often be cured by removing the string. otherwise they check the lower unit by pressure. Again it is most likely the lower prop shaft seal

Old 01-24-08, 08:34 AM
On a 12 year old boat - having some water (hence the milky coloring) in the lower unit oil is to be expected, depending on how often it has been changed (should be yearly). While you do, in fact, have some water leaking by your current seals - it might not be necessary to tear the unit apart. Were it me - I would change the oil/lube - run it for a while and see how quickly it changes back to water contaminated fluid. Not saying your seals are not faulty - but it might (might) not be worth tearing down at this point.