Boston Whaler Steering System

Old 03-18-08, 06:50 AM
Question Boston Whaler Steering System

The steering wheel will not turn. I've disconnected the engine and it moves freely but the wheel still does not move. I figure the cable,etc must be replaced. How do I remove it or is there more maintenance I can do to free it up.

Bob P

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 08:19 AM
First, you've got to find out where the issue is. Obviously it's not the motor locked up on it's mounts as it turns freely. Now - disconnect the steering wheel from the cable (under the dash) and ensure that the wheel turns freely. If it does - your cable is frozen. Sometimes, rarely, you can drip oil into one end and try to work the cable loose - but - if it's frozen now, it's going to freeze up again, more than likely when you're way, way out there on the water. Spend the $75 and buy a new steering cable. It's an easy repair and will ensure you don't get stuck on the water. Steering cables are relatively generic - you find the length you need, with the fittings that apply to your system - and buy them. Try West Marine.com for a nice assortment of products at pretty decent prices.

Old 07-28-08, 09:32 AM
Service Issues

Hi - this thread is very helpful.

I have a new model (2001 I think) montauk 17.

My steering just quit, in the slip. I need to replace the steering cable.

The shop I bought the boat from told me they need to remove the engine to replace the steering cable, and this would cost at least $400 in labor. My instinct tells me they are full of it, but they are a reputable place.

Can I buy the part at west marine, and fish it through the hull:
1. myself? (seems pretty easy)
2. without removing the outboard?

Thank you very much for your help.

Boogie.

Old 07-28-08, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not familiar with boat design, so you can take this with a grain of salt.

Could you not tape the end of the new cable to the end of the faulty one, and pull the new one through while the old comes out?

I'm sure there are clamps that need to be remove first...but just a thought.

Old 07-28-08, 07:45 PM
There are 2 styles of steering systems, rotory and rack. The rack systems come out twords the motor and in twords the helm. Rack systems come out twords the helm and in twords the motor, this is in most cases due to room. Once you have them out there are name brands and # on them use them to get the same cable as came uot as they are not compatable between brands. If the cable isn't available you need to replace the helm as well as the cable. Alot of the time the motor must be removed to get the cable out of the steering tube as the cable will not bend sharp enough.